Monday, January 7, 2008

Vinyasa is hard

Or maybe I'm just exhausted and need to back off for a day or two. Or probably some combination of the two.

I went to the Y this morning and did 20 minutes on the stair mill. Started at level 12 and decided immediately that it was too hard for today. Kept going down level by level until I forced myself to stay at level 9. Which was hard.

Then I did some core work and 2 sets of pullups, one set of ten, the next of 8 with two different hand grips, and three sets of shoulder presses. After that I went to a vinyasa class. I could barely stand up. After about 10 minutes I started wishing for shavasana, wondering how lame it would be if I just packed up my mat and left. I was very yogic, though, and honored my body by basically just flopping my way through the poses and taking strategically timed water breaks in order to miss some of the more challenging asanas.

Yes, Bikram is hot, which creates a unique challenge. But vinyasa is way, way harder. Especially when you're muscles are all pooped out. That's why I like it so much, I guess.

I think I'll take tomorrow off.

Yeah, right.

No comments: