Thursday, January 17, 2008

Brave new world

My husband has been out of town on business... forever. I thought he was going to be home tonight in time to watch the kids while I go to my monthly synagogue board meeting. I was wrong, but I didn't find that out until too late last night to call a babysitter. Too late for me, anyway. I'm sure all of my kids' babysitters stay up a lot later than I do.

High school starts at 6:35am, so I knew our favorite babysitter, E, would be up early. But I felt really dorky calling her at 6:15 in the morning. Suddenly, a flash of inspiration hit me. Or maybe that was samadhi from my 5 minutes of meditation, which I had just finished a few mintues before. Either way, I decided to (drumroll, please) TEXT MESSAGE her. I have never done that before. Lo and behold, I had a positive response in about 5 minutes. Wow.

I have entered a whole new level of techno-usage. As a bonus, I have a babysitter for tonight. Bad news: no excuse to leave the marathon meeting early. Oh well. Better to be a conscientious board member, anyway. That's what I was elected for, not to be a shirker. Too bad.

No comments: