Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I'm feeling sad and a little bit teary right now. I just read in the paper about a book called Body Drama about real girls and real bodies-- published by a Miss America swimsuit winner who also happens to be a Harvard grad with a concentration in women's studies, which I am as well. Not the swimsuit part. She is very beautiful but has compiled a book of "real women" who are not all perfect or airbrushed. I think I will get this book for myself and my daughters.Despite getting up and writing the blog entry about granting myself grace, and despite having left the house at 7:30 am to go climb the 13 flights of the Antlers Hotel 11 times in training for  Run the Republic, I still feel really fat and blobby ad out of shape and crappy about myself. I want so badly to love myself, or at least feel good about myself, to have confidence. But it is so hard. And so I work for grace.

3 comments:

Lees Lamar said...

So, have you watched "what the bleep do we know"? It's awfully good, and has a lot to do with self image....

DebPC said...

I did watch that movie. But I can't exactly remember what it has to do with self-image. I was paying more attention to the existentialist stuff.

Lees Lamar said...

It was the thread about treating ourselves with compassion and love. Like the pictures of the water, when they were told beautiful things they formed beautiful patterns and when they were called awful things they had horrible looking patterns. The whole point being that we are made mostly of water....it applies to us too.