Thursday, January 3, 2008

Reality Check

I came to my computer yesterday and saw this page open on the screen. I know I did not leave it open, which means that one of my daughters found it in the pulldown history and opened it up.
I was just thinking the other day about how I would feel if a psychotherapy client read this blog. That would be a hypothetical client at this point, since I don't have any clients at the moment, having finished my practicum 3 days ago. Would I want them to see this? I am a fairly self-disclosing kind of therapist, but there are limits of what I want them to know. And even if I do disclose my history of eating disorders, for example, I do it when I feel appropriate, not because I am an exhibitionist.

Is keeping a blog exhibitionist by nature?

But anyway, I never even considered my children reading this. Yes, of course they know lots about me. But there are things they don't know, and I'm not sure I want them to know at this point. Like the ED. Maybe someday if appropriate. Not now.

So do I change what I write? Do I put in less? Do I use code words? Or do I leave it all out there, allowing anyone who may stumble upon this access to parts of my psyche? Something to ponder.

No comments: