Friday, January 11, 2008

Those Difficult Talks

I am usually the first person awake in my household. I woke up this morning and saw the light peeking out from beneath the closed door of my kids' bathroom. My first thought was that my daughter, who will be 10 next month, had gotten her period. This is very unlikely, since she is extremely tiny and the endocrinologist who is evaluating her for impaired hormone production said that she saw no signs of puberty 4 months ago. But still, that was the first thing I thought.

What a relief when I went in to check on her, heart in throat, and saw her sitting on the floor, drawing a picture. "Hi honey. Just checking whether you were okay. Love you."

I went down to the kitchen and began my usual routine, which includes drinking hot lemon juice and water, five minutes of meditation, two cups of coffee and making school lunches. When she came down I told her what my concern had been. We have kinda sorta talked about getting your period, but I got more specific this time, and actually talked about bleeding from your vagina. She only seemed to be half listening but I think she heard me. And I hope she heard me when I said that, when that happens to her, come to me and we will deal with it.

As Bruce Springsteen would say, "oooo, ooooo, growing up."

How do other moms handle the "pre-talk?"

No comments: