Sunday, January 6, 2008

I feel sorry for Britney Spears

There. I said it. Now I can get on with my life.

Spent the weekend cross country skiing in Breckenridge, one of my very favorite things to do in the whole world. Went by myself on Saturday and spent an hour and fifteen minutes going all out. I was winded, I was tired, and I was on a massive endorphin high. Went with the family out to our favorite restaurant, a Japanese noodle house called Denzaimon. Very yummy and authentic. Probably would be a roadside stand if it were in Japan. But since it's in a semi-upscale Colorado ski town, it is a sit down place with an awesome sake menu. And there's nothing like a top shelf cold sake to top off a runners high.

Went skiing today with my 9 year old daughter. She rocks! We did about 4 miles on blue trails and we had so much fun. It was snowing and peaceful and so, so beautiful. After we'd been out for about 1:45 she was clearly pumped. We'd gone up to see an old mining structure and skiied past a house with a way rockin snowman and my little trooper said she wanted to keep going. I kind of sensed we were a few minutes away from a bonk. As we were a few minutes away from the lodge as well, I chose that option. I will never know for sure, but since she scarfed down 4 free granola bars in about 5 minutes, I think my instinct was a good one.

I love having something that she and I do together. So often we butt heads, but on the nordic trails we just mesh. She loves it the way I do. She gets it the way I do--the calm, the silence, the beauty, the personal challenge, the endorphin rush.

And the vibe. Seriously. It is so different from the downhill scene. I mean, can you imagine free granola bars at a downhill ski lodge? People who remember you from year to year? People who honor your pass even though you left it at home and tell you to "just remind me to do two punches next time"? True, you can't do shots or eat hamburgers in the lodge. And sometimes that does seem like a lot of fun. But you can always meet your friends at the bar later. Gimme cross country any day.

No comments: