Friday, July 4, 2008

This aint no garden variety July 4th 10k

Every town in America has some kind of July 4th citizens race, and Breckenridge CO is no exception. Actually, it has been an exception until this year, contenting itself with the hardcore Firecracker 50 mile mountain bike race, which also doubles as the national mountain bike championships. Happily for me, this year inaugurated the Firecracker 10k, which I gleefully paid my $20 to enter.

Unhappily for me, the first 3 miles climbed roughly 1,000 feet, from 9,600 feet elevation to 10,400 feet. Why, oh why can't I enter any non-killer races?

That said, I redeemed myself, at least in my own eyes. Mount Evans was killer, and finishing in the bottom 1/4 of runners was kind of hard on my ego. Today I finished 6th out of 30 in my age group. I admit it. It felt good. I am so signing up for this race next year. Even as I was running I was coming up with places in Colorado Springs where I can do some apples to apples training runs, although at a somewhat lower altitude.

Now, after having eaten much of the candy my kids scored at the Main St. Parade, I have to go get good and drunk in time for the fireworks.

No comments: