Friday, July 25, 2008

Forearm Balance and a 10K

Last night I went to my new favorite Dharma Mittra style yoga class taught by a great guy whom Dharma himself renamed Sadhu Om (but we don't have to call him that). When I mentioned that in India Sadhus are supposedly holy men but look a lot like naked crazy homeless people the Colorado Sadhu seemed pretty unconcerned. Anyway...

Last night in class was this nice but show-offy yoga guy who definitely brings a spirit of competition into the room. Or maybe it's just me trying to do all the asanas as well as he does. They say if you ride your bicycle with other people you become a better cyclist because you push yourself harder. Does that apply in yoga? In any case, I did some BEAUTIFUL forearm balances. Even Mr. I'm So Great commented on them. Fine, fine, I'm talking ego. Let those who live in glass houses throw the first stone-- by which I mean, oh please, tell me that you have no ego at all involved in your practice. I do try to keep it out but... there it always comes back again. While I'm bragging, I did a pretty nice bird of paradise on one side, too. Those are really hard for me because I don't have the openness in my chest, shoulders or hamstrings.

On that note, I am running a 10k tomorrow morning. It's not a hard race for a change, which will be a welcome relief. I am going to try and push myself to go fast, but we'll see how that goes. All of my mental energy is going toward getting my dissertation done and ready for defense on Sept 12th and I don't really have any give-a-shitness left over for my running times. It is kind of liberating.

No comments: