Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Beauty all around me

I went for a bike ride in the stunning Garden of the Gods this morning. Always hard, always beautiful. I was very cognizant of how lucky I am to live in such a gorgeous place.

I thought of my mother-in-law (blessed be her memory), who lived a very provincial life, despite spending most of her life an hour from Philly and a short stint in Chicago. Her 2001 visit to us here in Colorado Springs was the only trip she had ever taken out west, and she spent much of the time declaring, in an almost angry voice, "I hope people who live here appreciate this place." I assured her that, although not a native, I certainly appreciate it.

I still do. Very much so.

2 comments:

Yogamum said...

I love your mother-in-law's comment! I do appreciate the beauty that is Colorado. We are very blessed!

Life In Colorado said...

Great comment. Gotta appreciate the natural beauty every day. My family is from the Milwaukee area, and they often remind me of how great it is out here. :)