Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Soul angst

Our request for insurance coverage for my daughter's growth hormone shots was approved today. I found this out from Pam, the very pleasant and chipper Pfizer Bridge representative who was assigned our case. In great detail, she explained that Medco will be sending the meds to our house directly, that she will send me a starter kit with the injection device called a pen-something-or-other, which is designed to look like a pen not a needle, and that once I get that I should call her and arrange for the insurance company's nurse to pay us a home visit and teach us how to inject our daughter with synthetic hormones on a daily basis.

While talking to Pam I burned the sleeve of my (cashmere!) sweater on the stove burner.

After hanging up I abandoned what would have been a great lunch made of last night's leftover halibut mixed with asparagus and fresh basil and, instead of preparing for tonight's Finding Om class, went outside and bagged seven 30-gallon bags of detrius from my lawn.

Yes, we requested coverage.
Yes, I think giving her shots for the remainder of her growing years is ultimately the best course of action.
Yes, I feel kind of sick to my stomach right now.
I feel so sorry for her, and don't look forward to this obstacle.

I think we'll have to discuss this with her someplace where both ice cream and adult beverages are served.

2 comments:

Yoga Chickie said...

Oh, crap. Sorry to hear that this is all coming to fruition, although congrats on the coverage. Bittersweet. Well, you can get through this. Sorry to hear about the sweater as well. It's the little annoyances that make things seem really difficult - at least to me. The big stuff you can handle and you will.

DebPC said...

Uh, thanks Jason, aka Profile Not Available. Whoever you are, I really appreciate the sensitivity with which you responded to this post. But you really didn't have to put it 6 times.