Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Channeling Junie B. Jones

Since the garbage people still hadn't come after I finished this morning's 5 mile hill run, I decided to continue with my leaf and clipping bagging project.

I have these 30 gallon paper bags I bought at Home Depot. They're like giant supermarket bags with a waxy lining, and are kind of hard to open up at first. I was struggling with one and decided to slip my arms up into it and try to manually open the bag with my hands (as opposed to putting in a rakeful of leaves and shaking it around trying to get it open that way).

So there I was with my arms raised and this giant paper bag covering just about down to my waist and suddenly it was warm and dark and peaceful. Like being in a cocoon. I rested there a few moments and thought about when Junie B. Jones, heroine of Barbara Park's eponymous children's series, is waiting to speak to the prinicpal re: her latest misstep, and takes solace by making herself invisible inside a giant paper bag. I'm not so sure how well the invisible thing worked out for her, but as far as self-soothing goes, hanging out with a paper bag over your head is really nice.

I made myself invisible over and over and over this morning. It's only fun for a while, because then it starts to feel a bit suffocating. But until then, I highly recommend it. I think I'm going to do it some more right now. Off to the yard...

No comments: