Friday, April 25, 2008

A drinking game for you from me

Many years ago I went with my best friend to Cambridge MA to visit her brother, a student at Harvard Law school. This is what I learned there. 

Instructions: Recite without errors. When you make an error you drink and start over from the beginning. Somehow you go around in a circle but I forget that part, so make it up for yourself. 

One red hen.
A couple duck.
Three brown bear.
Four running hare. 
Five fat females sitting sipping scotch and smoking cigarettes.
Six slimy Sicilian sailors solemnly sailing the seven seas in a sloop.
Seven: I slit a sheet, a sheet I slit, upon a slitted sheet I sit. 
Eight: (I forget eight. Make up your own).
Nine nymphlike nudes nimbly nibbling on nicotine and pigs knuckles.
Ten: I'm no fig pucker. I'm no fig pucker's son. But I'll puck figs until the fig pucker's son comes. 

It's kind of embarrassing to admit that I still remember this, but I think it lodged in the part of my brain that also stores the chorus of every song that was in the top 40 when I was in 7th grade, as well as all the words to Barry Manilow's Mandy. I think it was also my first exposure to drinking games in action, and so made a greater imprint on my young, impressionable brain.

My cousin, who is 6 years younger than me, also went to HLS. I wonder if this was still being played. If not, a pity for the future of the profession.

No comments: