Thursday, March 27, 2008

Phoenix Rising anyone?

I will be on a plane at 6:30 am tomorrow, bound for NJ for a surprise party for my dad's 70th birthday.

Travel used to be such a joy. After my husband and I got married we rode our bicycles from Florida to California, then spent a year backpacking around Africa and Asia. We didn't even have a plane ticket home, we just bought what we needed as we went along.

Now travel seems to be sandwiched in between my "real life," and is considerable more hectic. Oh well.

Part of the reason it is so rushed (Friday to Tuesday trip) is that I need to get back in time for Finding Om on Tuesday night. The first two classes have gone really well. I am so, so thrilled to be able to make a positive impact in people's lives. I have gotten great feedback and am hoping hoping hoping that it just keeps getting better, that the effects keep building and that the participants are (statistically) significantly better off at the end of Finding Om then they were at the beginning.

The measurable qualities of that would mean being more mindful, bingeing less, and demonstrating better body responsiveness. Unmeasurable would be the greater sense of well-being that we all know yoga brings.

In other yoga news... I took my kids to a class at Bija led by a Dharma Mittra disciple. It was so much fun, full of laughter and joy. My older daughter loved it so much that she wants to go back every week! Cool. We are going to go tonight and see if the magic is still there.

Does anyone have experience with Phoenix Rising Yoga therapy? I just became aware of this at SYTAR and am considering attending their level 1 training. I'd love to hear what other people know about it, how it has affected therapy practices, etc.

2 comments:

Soleil Hepner said...

Hi Deb.
Soleil Hepner here, faculty member @ Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy - private practice in Seattle. I saw your question about PRYT (I have google alerts set for PRYT) and wanted to let you know that I'm available by phone or email to answer any questions. (OR call the PRYT center & talk with Karen / Elissa directly!) PRYT is truly an amazing modality. Please join us. You can find me at www.SoleilRising.com - or my other business - www.YogaBlaze.com.
I look forward to connecting.
In Yoga.
Soleil*

PS. Love your blogging site - "Wisdom & Confusion" How perfectly this describes PRYT!

DebPC said...

Hi Soleil. Your response brings a big smile to my face, as I met you at the SYTAR conference-- I am the short, curly-haired person who asked you to "do me" at the expo. Our mini-Phoenix Rising session went a long way toward convincing me that this is a modality I would like to add to my psychotherapy toolbox as I begin to develop my own brand of practice. I think in putting out this blog-based query I was fishing for the experiences of people who aren't on the PYRT faculty ;-)

I am seriously thinking about going to the Oakland level 1 training in September. If you have any comments about that I'd love to hear them. I'd love to hear them.