Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Why Philadelphians are so fat

This morning I made my first-ever cheesecake. I don't know how it tastes, and I don't plan to find out. Looks fine and everything but ouch, is cheesecake ever fatty! It is mostly cream cheese, which has 100 calories and 10 grams of fat per ounce. Then it has sour cream and 3 eggs and a cup of sugar. I'm not a huge dairy person, either. In fact, I never eat dairy except for the milk in my coffee. Cheese smells funny to me and milk tastes bad.

Why make this fat-laden doorstop of a baked good, you wonder? Today, based on an appointment with my 10-year-old daughter's endocrinologist, we decided to try and get insurance to cover growth hormone shots to compensate for severely delayed growth-- which means a shot daily for the next 2-5 years, or the duration of her growth years. Needless to say, for the recipient of these shots this was not good news. Poor thing loves cheesecake. So cheesecake she shall have.

No comments: