Saturday, February 2, 2008

Change of plans

My original dissertation design was to include only women in the Finding Om yoga class and discussion group, mainly to make statistical analysis easier when I got to it. But as the responses began to pour (okay, trickle) in, I saw a distinct pattern: men were calling in equal numbers to women. Since this parallels the spilt of people with binge eating disorder in the population, this should be no surprise to me. It was a bit dismaying, though, because I didn't want to turn away any possible subjects.

After some quick consulation with my dissertation chair and the members of my committee, one of whom is a statistician (nice move, huh?), I decided to amend the research design to include men. Not only does this hopefully give my study greater power and broader applicabilty, it adds an interesting element: does yoga work as a treatment for binge eating disorder differently in men and women.

Well, it's my daughter's 10th birthday party today, so I guess I've gotta go.

No comments: