Thursday, February 7, 2008

Kids Craft Ideas Wanted


Hi Readers. I know you're out there. Right? I must have a few readers.

I NEED YOU, OH FAITHFUL!

My younger daughter is turning 7 on March 1st and she wants an arts and crafts birthday party. I am so very, very not an arts and crafts kind of mom.

Here are my ideas so far.

Make your own pizza for lunch.
Decorate your own piece of birthday cake.

Make a door hanger-- you know, you can buy those foamie-type things that go over doorknobs and buy other foamie-type things that stick onto them.

She would like a pinata, which I may be able to accommodate.

What else?

I know you can make blankets by cutting fringes around the edges of 2 pieces of fleece and then tying them together. Maybe we can make pillows like this, with an assortment of pre-cut fleece from which the kids can choose?

One website suggested having kids make cards for the birthday girl. What about making cards that she then sends back to you as a thank-you note? Cute? Tacky?

Any and all ideas are welcome.

4 comments:

Patti said...

My daughter went to a party where they all made hats using those "wedding"hats as the base and then glued jewels and plastic flowers and then they had a tea party.
I got to suffer the stares as she wore it everywhere for the next three months, but she loved it.
And I 'm with you. Crafts are hell on earth. I hate them.

Tracy said...

One year we had one of those
"Paint Ceramics Parties" where you have all the kids meet at a ceramic studio and they had a blast!! Some of those studios actually have Birthday Party packages as well..check it out. The kids will love it because they can make something to keep~
Namaste~
Tracy

crankyhausfrau said...

i always do a craft at my daughter's birthday parties! we have done decorated crowns, beaded bracelets, hobby horses...this year we did pin wheels, and that was a little bit too complicated for them. i would suggest things that involve more creative expression and less direction following.
we have also done decorate your own cupcakes which the kids loved!
they have also like doing a treasure hunt for the goodie bags.

DebPC said...

Thanks for the ideas! I offered her a ceramic party at a paint-it-yourself place. I thought I was being clever, but no dice.

I love the idea of making your own hat. There will be boys as well as girls, so maybe we can do plastic visors and have an assortment of things to stick on it.

As for the scavenger hunt for goody bags, I think their goody bags are going to be the stuff they make. Now hopefully all of this will keep them entertained for more than 10 minutes!