Monday, February 25, 2008

A good day with Bikram yoga

I woke up this morning with the intense need to sweat. I never get headaches, but I had a raging one this morning, so running didn't seem like the best idea-- especially since spring training needs to start any day now, and I like the idea of going into it healthy. So the obvious way to sweat without too much exertion: hot yoga.

Oh boy, did I sweat. Yoga teachers say that every day is different and to honor your body as it is today. I am not competitive with other people-- there are always women in the class who are tons more flexible than I am. I do, however, tend to push myself pretty hard in every class, even if I feel tired. I guess that is where my competitiveness comes out. I can't out-flex you, but I may be able to out-muscle you.

So where I can really get an objective pulse on where my body is day to day is through the difference in my perspiration levels from practice to practice in the overly heated room. Some days I barely break a sweat until around eagle. Today I was dripping by the end of the (hated) opening pranayama.

Baron Baptiste says that breakthroughs in practice don't come when you're trying super-hard, but when you've basically given up, whether from exhaustion or a temporary ego break or whatever. That is what I felt today. I fought with myself all morning about going to class, and almost didn't get out of the car once I was in the parking lot. Finally I decided that even if all I did was lay on my mat and sweat, it was better than turning around and going home.

I had a great class! No major breakthroughs, but my balancing poses were a lot steadier than they often are. I wonder if that is because I haven't been running much lately. My friend Julie, who is a yoga teacher and studio owner, ran a half marathon recently. She said that as a result of her running, her balancing postures suffered greatly. Since training is about to ramp up, I guess I should enjoy it while it lasts.

Anyway, I really just relaxed into this practice and honestly and truly didn't care how I did or whether I was impressing anyone. Funny how it turned into such a pleasant class. Headache even dissipated a bit.

I always feel like I hate Bikram style, and there are lots of things I don't like about it. But sometimes it sure does hit the spot.

2 comments:

Yoga Chickie said...

I was thinking of taking a Bikram class today. I was also thinking of going to the Russian Baths. I did neither. I am a lazy bum.

DebPC said...

Ha! You are so not a lazy bum. I seem to remember a recent post in which you did all of primary and secondary in one day. And didn't someone just return from a ski vacation-- on which she LOST WEIGHT if she did ram a ski into her shinbone?

I used to date a guy who lived on a 6th story walkup in the building just to the left of the Russian Baths.