Tuesday, February 12, 2008

And we're off

Tomorrow we leave on our trip. Technically tomorrow. It is the middle of Monday night,technically Tuesday morning. After lots of tossing and turning I got up to do all of those things that I'm sure I could do tomorrow but can't sleep for not having done:
*print out travel itineraries
*change purse from fun everyday purse to more sturdy and secure travel purse
*email all people who have expressed interest in Finding Om but with whom I have not had contact.
*Write blog entry.
*Try to get last minute pledges for Run the Republic. Yes, the day I return from 10 days in Prague, Amsterdam and Lithuania I will drive to Denver and climb 55 flights of stairs to benefit lung cancer and my own personal fitness. Wanna help raise money for lung cancer? Pledge at http://www.mrsnv.com/evt/e01/part.jsp?rid=728420&id=1761&acct=0503206973. Namaste.

Then I think I'll go back to bed.

Once I get on the airplane things will be good, but right now the timing of this trip feels really crappy. It is smack in the middle of interviewing people for Finding Om, which is going well. I already have interviwed 5 people and have 4 participants qualified.

I feel like leaving will cause me to lose momentum. Really, this shouldn't be true, because I will leave a message on my voicemail and on email saying that I'll be away and get in touch when I return bla bla bla. If people are interested in free yoga for binge eating, they'll still be interested in a week or so, and I'll just need to get back to work when I return. But it feels stressful.

Wednesday, the day I leave, is also local internship "match day." If you apply for a national pre-doctoral internship through APPIC (Assoc of Psychology postdoctoral and internship centers, once you are done with the interview process you rank-order your choices and then wait for match day, when the rank orders of applicants made by internship sites are compared with the rank orders of internship sites made by applicants, matches are made, and your fate for the next year is sealed.

I did not apply nationally, only here in Colorado Springs. As recently as last year the process here was much more informal. However, starting this year they are doing a local match day. I applied to four places, and I interviewed at two places. Either would be good, and either would be considerably better than nothing. It is conceivable that I not get either; there is a very finite amount of local spots and I don't know how many people applied for each spot. I decided to remain somewhat ignorant of who else was applying where, figuring that this would help keep my anxiety down. For the most part it has.

But match day is tomorrow. And I go international tomorrow. The good news is that my dad's cell phone works abroad, and I gave his number as a contact to both internship sites. So I guess I'm pretty much as available as I would be at home, just borrowing someone else's phone. Somehow it feels like I'm more available if I'm actually home, though.

I supposed the good news is that if I don't get a match I will be sufficiently distracted that I won't care... at least for a while.

Sigh. Maybe I can fall back to sleep now. I doubt I'll post while I'm gone, but you never know what might happen at some bohemian internet cafe.

No comments: