Wednesday, February 27, 2008

It's a match

I found out yesterday that I will be doing my internship at Confidential Health Consultants here in Colorado Springs. They do mostly substance abuse treatment with a forensic population (read: people with a criminal record). I have no experience in that area, which I made clear in my interview.

However, I definitely want that experience, and see a connection between substance abuse and eating disorders in the sense that both are a form of mind-body disconnection. I will have finished my dissertation at that point, so will have experience looking at how yoga helps eating disorders. Maybe I can use that to work similarly with the substance abusers.

Of course, it would be a lot better if, at that point, I have yoga teacher training and can do the teaching myself rather than beg services from others. I actually do have training-- I went to Baron Baptiste's teacher training level 1 bootcamp in the summer of 2006, which was awesome. I haven't taught at all since then, however.

In other news.. ran 9 miles this morning, which was a bear. It is one of those beautiful sunny days that remind you that spring will actually arrive one day, so that was a pleasure. However, while training for the stair climb I conveniently forgot to run. Wow, I can feel it now. But I'm coming back. Mt. Evans Ascent in June, and thinking about a marathon before I start internship in October. Maybe the Portland marathon on October 5th. Has anyone reading this done that? I'd love to hear what your experiences were.

After my post-run shower (which I took about 5 hours after the run) I oiled my hair. Not a very American practice, I know. An Indian woman did it as part of a haircut I got in Kovalum, Kerala, in southern India. I found it just loveley. Since my hair is curly and tends toward being dry and frizzy, oiling it every so often really works for me. Oiling my hair makes me happy, too, because it reminds me of a really wonderful period in my life full of travel and adventure and not a whole lot of responsibility.

No comments: