Friday, May 2, 2008

Too much of everything?

I am so, so tired. I went to yoga yesterday and kept having to straighten my front leg during extended warrior holds because my thigh was burning so hard it was becoming a distraction. I tried resorting to my kundalini training: that's only your mind telling you to give up. Use the breath and stay with it. It's not about muscular strength but about your will.

That wasn't working out for me. I just kept thinking how tired I was, and told myself that it was okay, I had done lots of yard work already that day, which involves going up and down a few stairs carrying small trees and large bags of leaves multiple times and so taxes my legs. Plus, I did the Manitou incline the day before, which is a mile vertical uphill and then a 4 mile run down the mountain. So I was making excuses, basically, for why I couldn't do as well as I'd like in yoga.

Then on a run today I found myself having the same thought about being tired and making more excuses for myself. I walked a few times during a 5 mile run, which is like, 4 times too many because I allow myself to walk up a really short but really steep hill in the park behind my house so that kind of doesn't count. It's too windy. I've been feeling kind of sick all week. I did yard work yesterday. Bla bla bla.

It struck me that I have been making that tired excuse for a while now (nice pun, huh?) What is really going on? I get enough sleep; it's not that kind of tired. But I don't seem to be doing anything very well, or, to put in another way, I seem to be doing everything kind of half-assed.

What is this about? Where is my fire in the belly? Have I lost my mojo? What should I do?

3 comments:

commenter said...

Hi. Just a suggestion. Why cart the leaves about? Why not make leaf mould. Put the leaves in a pile and leave them where they are. If they get dry, soak them.

End result (in about a year) great mulch for the garden, less stress, less hassle.

Just a suggestion...

Yoga Chickie said...

Commenter is so right! But I actually thought that was already what you were doing, carting them about into a compost pile. I am pretty sure that it takes longer than a year, but in a warmer climate it might take less time than here Northern Westchester. I have to say, when I scraped up the bottommost layer of wet leaves from the garden beds this year, I was amazed at how rich the soil beneath them was, thanks to decomposition.

But anyway, I think you are tired. We all go through our tired phases. I just came out of one. I can attribute it to a virus, but maybe it is ALWAYS a low grade virus when we feel tired?

Yoga Chickie said...

Oh...and if you can, have some coconut water!