Saturday, May 24, 2008

Ebbs and Flows

My cousin Yoga Chickie posted about her concern that she temporarily likes gardening more than yoga. For those who don't read her blog, she's a bit obsessive about yoga.

But I can relate. Until recently, any time someone mentioned the possibility of running a marathon I was up for it. Ready to start training, ready to write the long runs (16,18,20 milers) down on my calendar, ready to buy some Gus and hit the road. Lately that fire has just... died down. I don't know on what to blame it. Marathon burnout? Other things on my mind? Concern about impending internship or the need to write my dissertation? I really don't know.

I'm kind of okay with it, allowing myself the grace to listen to my body and not force myself to go out on 20 mile runs if I have absolutely no desire to do so. I have always gotten a perverse sort of satisfaction from long runs. Now they just seem... long.

But I am also bothered very much by this development. I want to stoke the embers. It's not like I'm sitting around, and I have not slacked off on my training for the Mount Evans Ascent on June 21st. Yet I am bothered. Where do I go from here? Balance is so elusive.

And I really don't want to get fat and out of shape.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

oh..don't worry about that...just keep in mind this motto
"A body in Motion
stays in motion
A body at rest
satys at rest"
and that should keep you moving on something everyday! It has worked for me for what...30 years now!
no worries....just enjoy your journey~

Tracy said...

need to spell check more often though.. :0)

DebPC said...

Tracy, I envy your balance. Are you a mom? You would be/must be a great mom.