Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Matilda please come home


I live with my family at the edge of an open space-style city park at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Just beyond our property line the park has 7.5 miles of dirt trails for walking/ biking/running but other than that there is no landscaping aside from what nature put there. Lots of rocks and bluffs.
Deer wander through our yard so frequently it's boring. I plant my garden with them and the rabbits in mind. At night we regularly hear coyotes howling. One night I saw a bobcat and a few years ago we saw a momma and her baby bear.
And therein lies the problem. We have 3 cats. I say that somewhat hesitantly right now because dear sweet Matlida, the baby of the bunch, didn't come home last night. We all know that this is a risk and try not to let them out after dark. There's not much we can do, though, if they are out already and we are going to bed. So far they have always returned in the morning. We have joked about Tillie's stellar speed-climbing skills being a protective factor against the night creatures. Well, the night creatures may have won out.
This is not good. I love that little kitty, and I really don't want to have to break it to my kids. I think they are starting to get it but are kind of in denial.
Today is Rosh Hashanah, the first day of the Jewish New Year. This isn't really how I had hoped it would start out.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Did the kitty come home? We all want to know!

DebPC said...

No. I think she's coyote meat.