Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Internship agita

I finally spoke to JL, the man who will be my supervisor on my internship. Start date was up in the air and I had only a vague idea of the work hours, which was starting to aggravate me. Now that the kids are back in school and the dissertation is wrapping up (!) I am eager to establish some sort of schedule.

What I found out is that I'd better enjoy my free time now because I won't have any shortly. Intership hours are 9-6 three days a week and 11-8pm the other two.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrghhhhhhhh!

What about my kids when they come home from school? What about my workouts? Who is going to do my laundry and go to the supermarket and cook my family healthy dinners? How am I going to get Kid #1 to Hebrew school at 4:30 on Tuesdays and kid #2 to guitar lessons at 5:30 on Wednesdays?? My kids... my workouts... When am I going to sleep?????!!!!

Maybe those of you who have been 9-5ers forever are scoffing at me. So... tell me your tips.

I know I can get up at 5 to work out, which is what I plan to do-- and love those leisurely mornings when I don't have to go in until 11 and can get in a nice run or bike ride outside. Or run at lunch. Or go to the Y at lunch. I will work a 9 hour day. I assume I have lunch.

Okay, experienced working moms and dads: What do you do with your kids after school? Mine are 7 and 10 years old. I thought I was going to work until 5 and was fine with them being home alone for an hour. But 2 hours is a different story, not to mention those late nights. I have called our babysitter but haven't heard back from her and I'm not sure either of us envisioned her as a quasi-nanny.

On the happy front, today is my noon Kundalini class that I love and look forward to every week. Yay and hooray for Kundalini yoga. Hope I can still do it come October, considering it is at the Y (oddly enough) which is right down the street from my internship. Which, on another happy note, is located in a beautiful part of downtown only about 15 minutes from my house.

No comments: