Friday, August 1, 2008

All heads on deck

My house does not have air conditining. This is generally a good thing. I hate the fake chill of AC, hate needing a sweater in the middle of a hot summer day, hate the waste of electricity. Plus, Colorado nights cool down 20+ degrees and we open up all the windows and get a great cooling breeze. I love laying in bed listening to the crickets and feeling the cool air coming through my window. But after a week of 90 degree days the house just heats up and stays hot.

When I came home from yoga last night at 7pm, the radio said the temp was 92 and the wind was still. 92 at 7pm! This calls for desparate measures. So the girls and I decided we needed to sleep out on the deck. Not sure whether husband would have gone along with this, but he's away on a business trip (surprise!) so that's moot. We got out our sleeping pads, brought out pillows and blankets and there we were. It was lovely... until I woke up cold in the middle of the night. Thatwas kind of nice too. I got another blanket and lay there for a while enjoying the cool night air and looking at the stars.

At about 5:30 younger daughter came in and went into her bed. Older daughter is still sleeping away on the deck. Forecast is for another scorcher. Wonder if we'll repeat this tonight.

No comments: