Sunday, August 17, 2008

Carbo Loading in Vain

Seems to be the thing to do in Colorado this weekend.


I got to run the first 2 mile leg of my duathlon. Just as I was getting into a groove and no longer feeling freaked out by lightning that was flashing directly overhead and hail that was hitting my face I found out that they cancelled the race due to... weather. Oh yeah, and a mudslide that obscured the canyon road we were supposed to ride our bikes up and down. As a consolation prize they let us use the rec center for free. Surprisinly lame, considering this is Aspen, after all, but I still managed to do a pretty self-punishing weight workout and then run another 4 miles on the treadmill.

Mine wasn't the only race bust, either. Less than half the registered runners managed to summit the Pikes Peak Ascent before it, too was cancelled and race officials started turning people around. Not sure what happened with the Marathon, which was scheduled for today. Weather looked pretty crappy up top the peak as we passed it on the way home but, oddly enough, I can find no mention of anything online.

Leadville 100 trail run was Saturday as well. A friend and inspiration finished in 29 hours. I don't know whether that's good or not, frankly, but I know the weather wasn't great.

Oh well. So I ate a bunch of garlic bread for no reason. Tonight I'm going to follow that up with a bunch of wine. For a reason? Who knows.

I have this vague feeling that I need to get back on track but somehow I don't care enough right now to make it happen.

Quickie update: It's raining! Again! At least I don't have to water my plants tomorrow.

No comments: