Friday, August 29, 2008

Dissertation has been delivered

Today is the official due date of my written dissertation. I delivered the requisite spiral bound copies to my three committee members yesterday, along with a thank you note and a bottle of wine. One of my committee members told me that she considers the nicely-bound, clean copy of someone's dissertation her "little treat" for serving on their committee. Wow. The bottle of wine is the treat I like, but diversity is what makes the world interesting.

This weekend we are off to Breckenridge. I am going to run or, more accurately, slog my way through the Breck Crest this Sunday. It starts in downtown Breck, which is 9,600 feet, "crests" at 12,475 and then goes mostly down except for a little up. It is brutal but incredibly beautiful and a lot of fun in that demented I-like-to-punish-myself kind of way. I've run the race three times, completing twice and turning around just before the summit because of a blizzard with 40 mph winds once. SO when I pack today I will bring sweats and long sleeved shirts and a hat etc. But I also checked the weather and it's supposed to be pretty nice. I'm not really sure I'm up for another snowstorm slog, to be honest.

Dissertation defense is two weeks from today. I am excited! At least right now, sitting here in yoga clothes blogging whatever comes to mind and it all feels really theoretical.

No comments: