Friday, October 17, 2008

10 hours down, 1,990 to go

This internship business is going to be a longer road than I thought. The state of Colorado requires a 1500 hour pre-doctoral internship. The one I have accepted and which I began yesterday requires 2000 hours. How I missed this rather important detail until today is something of a mystery, but suddenly I have to work 500 more hours than I thought. HARSH.

That said, I think this is going to be a really good experience. Tiring, no doubt stressful, but a good experience nonetheless. JL, my supervisor, was open to my ideas about yoga therapy. He even suggested the possibility of running some sort of Finding Om-like group on a Saturday. Cool! We are literally right next to a yoga studio and I know one of the instructors so this may not be too difficult to orchestrate. But I don't want to get ahead of myself...

Next week I begin to see clients, go to staff meetings, get supervision, sit in on a few assessments and possibly accompany someone to court. I will also begin leading groups on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6-8pm. I am a co-leader, so the first few times it's fine if I just hang out and get an idea of the way things work, which I think I will. Both. Hang out and get an idea.

I have a feeling that I'll be exhausted by the end of next week. But I'll have knocked out another 40 hours!

But before all that I guide Bruce the Blind Runner in the Denver Half Marathon, which is this Sunday.

No comments: