Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ch-ch-ch changes

Wow is my life different than it was in October.

I used to have lots of free time. Now I'm not sure I remember what it is.

I used to not know any felons. Now I know lots of felons. And spend time alone with them in close quarters with the door closed on a regular basis.

I used to not know any people who had their kids taken away by the Department of Human Services. Now I lead a support group for them on a weekly basis.

I used to not know anyone who used heroin. Now I need to send a 28 year old woman to detox and inpatient treatment to kick the habit-- or else she will lose her kids, not to mention herself. Although I'm afraid for her that she may already be lost.

They say to count your blessings. I never realized how truly blessed I am. And I am grateful. Really, really and truly grateful. Wouldn't mind more free time... but still grateful.

No comments: