Monday, December 8, 2008

In the blink of an eye

It's amazing how quickly things can change-- and how lucky we are that they pretty much don't.

On Friday morning my older daughter and I were driving to the bagel store, basically to kill time after dropping the younger girl off at a before-school activity and before the older one needed to be back for the morning bell. La la la, sitting at the traffic light minding my own business and... SLAM!!!!!! Massively rear-ended. Back of my Honda minivan is a mess, thanks to a rather large Toyota pickup sliding into me, courtesy of a very icy morning.

Everything was and is fine (except the van, which drives but looks pretty bad and I can no longer open the back). And that is just the point. I have minor whiplash but the pills the doc gave me make me feel a lot worse than just stiff. BUt I'm fine. My daughter is stiff and sore too and was pretty shaken up but we are fine.

I am so grateful for our health and all that we have in life. This really drove that home for me (ha ha, get the pun?). A car is stuff, and stuff means nothing. It's the people in our lives that matter, it is our health, how we take care of ourselves and the others around us.

I know this sounds hokey but I have been so overwhelmed with gratitude the last few days I needed to share.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

that is really scarey..i know,as the same thing happened to me a long time ago. i am glad that you were both OK...sometimes it takes something like this to bring us back to being Grateful. Be well friend~

daaronr said...

Hey Debby, I just saw this. Scary. I am glad you are OK. Didn't know you had a blog. Well, off to sleep here in London.
-Cousin David