Thursday, June 19, 2008

I think I can, I think I can

To make the initial cutoff time for the Mt. Evans Ascent I need to get to Summit Lake at mile 9 in 2hours and 30 minutes. According to the Cool Running pace calculator this means I need to run the first 9 miles at a 16:40 pace. This is kind of laughable for a regular road race, but taking into account that the first 9 miles of this particular race climb 2,250 feet higher than the starting line to an elevation of 12,850 feet ups the ante just a bit.

I think I can. I think I can.

Once I make it to Summit Lake Cool Running tells me I have to keep a 21:49/min/mile pace to make it to the summit before the 4.5 hour race end. Again, sounds silly. However, all of the final 5.5 miles are between 12,850 and 14,264 feet above sea level. It's pretty safe to say I won't be running any of the last miles. But I KNOW that if I can make cutoff #1 I will make it to the summit in time.

I think I can. I think I can.

What to wear? In 2002 runners were pulled off the road because there was a whitout. Yes, snow. Enough to cause organizers to worry about hypothermia and call off the race early. But on the website you see happy runners wearing shorts, their manditory long sleeved shirts tied around their waists. I think I will plan for the worst and hope for the best. That means hat, gloves, running tights, windbreaker, running sweatshirt, shorts, tank top.

I think I can. I think I can.

Not running today, although I am going to do yoga this afternoon. Short run tomorrow. Then it's showtime.

I think I can. I think I can.

I know I can. I know I can.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I know you can! Try not to think about the cutoff and just go! I was just talking to a woman who's running the Mayors Marathon for the first time and remarked about watching you run it and how fresh you looked every time we met up with you. You are amazing! You are going to do great. Wish I was there to cheer you on.