Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Crying on the run

Three days until the Mount Evans Ascent. I have begun not sleeping very well and have been getting out-of-breath nervous at random times. Like on my run today, which is actually not really all that random.

I did the Manitou incline for the last time pre-race yesterday, and did a 30 minute easy run today in the park behind my house. I couldn't stop thinking about Mt. Evans race, about the distance-- which isn't so great, but all 14.5 miles are upill-- about the incline, about the altitude, about the cutoffs, about how much my legs and lungs are going to be burning. Not the most productive thoughts, I realize, but that is what I was thinking.

Then I twisted my ankle. Not badly enough to cause anything more than very minor temporary pain, but it was excuse enough that I started to cry. Hard. There I was, sobbing, limping along the trail. The nervousness and feeling of inadequacy was only magnified by the fact that I missed my already-three-years-overdue mammogram this morning. I didn't oversleep. I could have easily made the 7:15 appointment. I just forgot. This is not very like me, and it upset me.

About the time I realized that my ankle felt fine, I began going down "Resolution Hill." I call it that because it comes at the end of the run, is a good strong downhill, and is a time I tend to begin feeling better and making resolutions. I will love myself better. I will give myself a break. I will run X marathon. It's always something.

Today I used Resolution Hill to give myself a pep talk. I have trained for this race. I have gone back and forth to Barr Camp 3 times. I have done the Incline 5 times. I have done many long runs, including a 14 miler, including a 9.5 and ten miler in Alaska. I have been doing hills for months. True, I have not been doing speed training, which never hurts because it is a strength builder. But even if I had been doing speed, I would not be using it at 10,000+ feet.

So we'll see. I just need to breathe, stay positive.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I was pretty teary today myself..MOON Day remember! Keep Positive my friend, you will do AWESOME!!!
tracy

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

14.5 miles uphill would cause anyone pause! That puts my little hill training and upcoming race in complete perspective.

Sounds like you have all the miles you need behind you and now, after resolution hill, all the mental strength you need for the miles in front of you.

Good luck!

Amy
www.runnerslounge.com
blog.runnerslounge.com