Monday, August 27, 2007

menopause

Okay, so this isn't about my dissertation at all. Well, okay, fine, here it is: I spent the morning researching treatment for binge eating disorder. Have I even mentioned my topic yet? It is yoga as a component of treatment for binge eating disorder. But I don't want to talk about that right now. This is what I want to talk about:
*I am 41 years old and I made myself puke tonight for the third time this month. Will I ever grow out of this? I am not a binge eater. I kind of binge, although not an objective DSM-IV-TR binge. But I kind of love to purge. I never get even half as purged as I'd like, though.
*My husband who never has sex with me even though I think I am okay sexy for a really short kind of middle aged chick left town again for three days without so much as a kiss goodbye. I wonder how I'd do if I were out on the market again...
*I forget but there was something else that felt rather urgent but now I forget, thanks to 1/2 bottle of wine.

Oh yeah, menopause. So I'm 41 years old and I haven' t had my period in at least 9 months. I'm not really sure how long it's been because I didn't notice at first when I skipped a month or two but then all of a sudden it occurred to me that I hadn't had it in a long time. I have an appointment with my OB in a few weeks. So I'll see what he has to say. Yes I run and bike and lift and do yoga but NO I am so not a fanatic so amenorreah doesn't seem a viable option. I wish I were thin enough to claim that. IN fact, I am getting fatter and fatter. It is really amazing to me, the back fat and saddlebags and all kinds of shit.


Is anyone reading this?

3 comments:

artquest1 said...

In answer to your question, Is anyone reading this? Yes.
Do I want to comment upon what I'm reading? I'm not sure.
Clearly you have just started your blog, and the surface topic is all about your dissertation, its theme and subject, and a bit about your methodology. What you have said so far sounds plausible and worthy of further research, but since its not in my field (neither professionally or behaviorally) if that was all I was reading, I'd probably just move on.
What intrigues me is what seems to be the real topic of your blog; one that has virtually nothing to do with Yoga, academic pursuits, and experimental methodology.
This covert topic seems to cry out for recognition, and it certainly captivates me, but is one that makes me hesitant to comment, as I am not certain this would be a welcome intrusion.
Are you looking for comments or merely readers?
Good luck, Bob

artquest1 said...

Hi,
I commented yesterday - I just thought I'd add that if you wish to respond privately, you are welcome to e-mail me, bobsouvorin@mindspring.com
Bob

Anonymous said...

deb--did this turn out to be a hormone imbalance or thyroid? As you probably know from my blog, I'm a perimenopausal victim these days and am right now reading a book on hormone balancing because i am starting to feel a change during my cycle--like I'm turning into a nut.